Many people want to know whether the damaged carbon fiber frame can be repaired? Although carbon fiber is a complex material, it can be repaired after damage, and the repair effect is mostly satisfactory. The repaired frame can still be used normally for a long time.
Since the stress conditions of each part of the frame are different, the upper tube mainly bears the compression force, and the lower tube mostly bears the vibration force and tensile tension, so the directionality of the crack will become the key to whether it can be repaired. Insufficient tensile strength will still pull apart, which may cause doubts about riding safety.
Usually damage can be divided into four major situations: surface layer detachment, single line crack, crushing damage, and hole damage. The repair shop said that in recent years, the repair cases received at hand are more common when the hip is sitting at traffic lights such as parking. On the upper tube, rupture occurs most often; or accidentally reversing, the end of the handle directly hits the upper tube and causes the rupture.
At present, most of the ultra-lightweight frames emphasized on the market are made of high-modulus carbon fiber material, and the tube wall is made very thin. Although there is sufficient rigidity, the strength is slightly insufficient, that is, it is not resistant to heavy and pressure. This type of frame is usually less than 900-950g, which is why some frames have weight restrictions. Durability must be considered. If it is a mixed weave laminate, it would be ideal.
The following is the repair process
1. The first process of repairing is to "stop cracking". Use a 0.3-0.5mm drill bit to drill holes at both ends of each crack to prevent the crack from expanding further.
2. Use mixed epoxy resin and hardener as the adhesive between the fabrics, because the reaction process after mixing will generate heat and gas, if the curing time is relatively sufficient, the gas will more easily float out of the surface and disappear, instead of Being cured in the resin layer causes insufficient strength, so the longer the chemical reaction, the whole structure will become more stable and solid, so choose the epoxy resin with a 24-hour curing index.
3. Depending on the damaged location, the repair method is determined. For pipe diameters greater than 30mm, use the hollow reinforcement method for the inner wall of the pipe; otherwise, use the drilling and fiber perfusion or open fiber reinforcement method. Regardless of the implementation, the reinforcing material is indispensable, and the strength of the glue itself is obviously insufficient, so it is not possible to use the glue alone to infuse and repair.
4. When repairing, do not use carbon fiber materials that emphasize high modulus as reinforcement, because the bending angle exceeds 120 degrees and it is easy to break. On the other hand, glass fiber cloth has high toughness and sufficient tensile strength, even if the bending angle exceeds 180 degrees. Fracture will occur.
5. After repairing layer by layer, let it stand for about 48 hours. In addition, after any repair method is completed, people need to cover the ruptured wound of the outer layer again. At this time, the repair thickness should be less than 0.5mm. The purpose is to make People cannot recognize that it is a repaired frame. Finally, the surface paint is applied to restore the frame as new.
All of our repairs have a fully transferrable five-year warranty. We stand behind our work and don’t make repairs unless they’re going to be as strong as new. If it is a frame that obviously still has significant value then it makes sense to repair it. Customers shouldn’t have any second thoughts about riding a repaired bike from us."
People must learn to protect carbon fiber bicycle. Damage to the carbon frame caused by accidents or collisions is usually difficult to predict and avoid in advance, but some collision events that damage the carbon fiber can be easily avoided. A common situation is when the handlebar is rotated and hits the upper tube of the frame. This often happens when the bicycle is inadvertently lifted. So be careful not to let this happen when picking up the carbon fiber bike. In addition, try to avoid stacking bicycles on other bicycles, and do not use the seat part to lean on poles or pillars, so that the bicycle will easily slip and cause a collision with the frame. Leaning the car on a surface such as a wall is much safer. Of course, people don’t need to be too nervous to wrap car with cotton wool. people just need to be more careful and take reasonable precautions to avoid unnecessary collisions. Also keep it clean. Regular cleaning can give people a chance to inspect the bike carefully to see if there are any obvious signs of damage. Regardless of the material of the frame, this should be routine during riding. Of course, rough cleaning also needs to be avoided, which will damage the epoxy resin wrapped around the carbon fiber. Any degreaser or cleaning products for carbon bicycles and old-fashioned mild soapy water should be used appropriately and reasonably.
Finally, In the event of a crash or accident, unlike the metal frame, where the depression or bending damage can be clearly seen, the carbon fiber may appear to be undamaged on the outside, but it has actually been damaged. If people have such a crash and worry about frame, people must ask a professional technician to do a professional inspection. Even serious damage can be repaired very well, even if the aesthetics is not perfect, but at least it can guarantee safety and function.
Company Name: Ewig (huizhou) technology Co., Ltd.
Email: Send Email
Address:Huaguo industry park qiuchang twon huiyang area